Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Personal (Affect) #1. My Old Shrek Shoes

I lost my shoes on Interstate 24.


 These shoes are 17 years old, and yes I still have them and will not get rid of them.  My parents had to go to the scene of the accident on Interstate 24 to find them for me.


17 years ago I was a junior at Murray State University.  One evening my friend, Meena and I went shopping and bought matching shoes.  Believe it or not, those ugly Shrek shoes were popular then.  Shortly after buying the shoes our coach informed us that Murray State University made it to the NCAA.  It was in March of 1995 and Meena and I were on the cheerleading squad that traveled to the game in Florida and we were not leaving our new shoes behind.  We had the best time at the game and a very memorable weekend.  We flew back to Nashville then loaded into the van to go home.  On the way home just past Clarksville,TN our van flipped.  Meena and I had minor injuries, some walked away but others weren't as lucky.  Every year when the daffodils bloom I think of Ginger and the blessing of another spring.

"ACCIDENT: A van carrying the Murray State cheerleaders back from the NCAA men's basketball tournament crashed and overturned on an interstate in Tennessee Saturday, injuring 11 people. Two were critically injured and flown to a hospital in Nashville, about 50 miles away. Four were hospitalized in stable condition. The van, which was carrying 13 people, blew out a tire, crashed into the median, and skidded for several hundred feet on Interstate 24 in western Kentucky." - one cheerleader (Ginger) died after this announcement on March 25.


.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers