Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Personal (Affect) #8 My Favorite Wedding Present

My favorite wedding present
Oh, no!  Don't get me wrong mom & dad, the wedding itself was the best present for sure.  It's just that this little block of wood runs a close second.  Allow me to back up.  The year was 1999 and I had just moved out of my apartment and into my first home.  One of the first people I met in the neighborhood was an outgoing little 9 year old girl named Kristin that lived with her grandmother.

Kristen was not your average girl.  She was smart, pretty, curious, kind and full of energy.  Okay, she sounds like a normal girl - but she wasn't to me.  We became fast friends.  Kristen was a thinker.  She was interested in the places that Tad and I had traveled, our vegetarian lifestyle, Willis (my dog), gymnastics and anything else for that matter.  She tagged along with me almost everywhere I went.  She was up for anything.  She worked hard at gymnastics and I think she even tried a vegetarian lifestyle.

Tad and I were married in 2001.  Kristen and her friend (Mary) came to our wedding with the present they made for us - a sign with the words "Welcome to the Drusky's" hand painted on the front.  We were overjoyed to receive such a thoughtful present.

I believe this sign marks the point in Kristen's life when she began growing up and creating a busy life of her own.  I don't see her much anymore because she is in college spending most of her time studying or being a world traveler.

http://personal-affects.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers